18 THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER SAY TO A BRIDE TO BE!
Images by Rebecca Barger Photography
Anyone who has or is in the process of planning a wedding will have encountered some unwanted pearls of wisdom at some point in their wedding planning journey. You can guarantee as soon as you get engaged it seems everyone has an opinion on you and your day and although some advice is very valuable indeed, I’m afraid to say not everyone will be as helpful! Only a few months in I was already receiving some very awkward comments and when I asked around a few of my friends to make sure I wasn’t the only one receiving these snarky comments I was appalled by some of the comments they had been subjected too.
Today it is time to set the record straight! Here are just some things that are not OK to say to a bride to be!
- “Ooooo show me your ring!… It’s very small, couldn’t he afford anything bigger?” – Do you have any idea how expensive this ‘small’ ring was! I’m all about quality, not quantity!
- “You don’t need to have a big wedding.” – No, you’re right, I don’t NEED one, but I WANT one!
- “I’m not coming if (insert uninvited family member/ friend/ boyfriend’s name) isn’t coming!” – Oh I’m sorry I can’t afford another £100+ for a stranger to attend my wedding?
- “I know you’re vegan/ vegetarian/ gluten free, but if that’s what we will be eating at your wedding, we won’t be coming” – well that’s one less mouth to feed!
- “Haven’t you been engaged/ married before?” – Oh yeah I had forgot about that?
- “When were you thinking of getting married?… Well don’t forget I have a birthday/christening/ hair appointment then?” – OK, i’ll just rearrange my whole wedding around you!
- “It will all be over before you know it.”– But I don’t want it to all be over!
- “I know you said children aren’t invited but our kids can still come can’t they?” – Your kids have jobs right, because they will have to pay for themselves!
- “Who have you got me sitting by because I would rather be sat by blah blah…..?” – If you carry on like this, you can sit on your own…. at home!
- “I know I’ve got the invite somewhere but can you just remind me what time we have to be there and where it is again?” – I didn’t just pay out £300+ to text you the information about my wedding day. You better go home, dig out that invite and then frame it!
- “Are you sure you want to do this?” – No, of course I don’t want to marry the man I love!
- “Have you sent out the invites yet because I haven’t got one?” – Awkward!
- “Do you know anywhere we can get cheaper accommodation, that’s closer to the wedding venue?” – Yes! It’s called a tent and there’s a field nearby!
- “Why have you left it so late!” – Dude, we got engaged yesterday and our wedding is in 4 months this is early!
- “I hope it doesn’t rain on your wedding day?” – Great, now I know if it does rain on my wedding day, you’re not going to be happy.
- “You’re not going to be getting married abroad are you?” – Hmmm let me think? Less money, guaranteed sun and no awkward conversations about who to invite? Yup, yup, we are definitely getting married abroad!
- “Your soooo going to have a vintage/ festival/ traditional wedding!” – Please don’t second guess my wedding, I just feel like you’re setting yourself up for a disappointment!
- “Getting married doesn’t really change anything does it? It’s just a piece of paper.” – Well technically yes, but ask anyone who is married and I am pretty darn sure they will tell you there is a whole load more to marriage than a piece of paper, so stop making seem any less important.