UP UP & AWAY STYLED WEDDING INSPIRATION + 3 EASY TO MAKE PAPER DECORATIONS!
Let me paint you a little picture…
Imagine walking dreamily among the clouds, bright pops of colour flash before your eyes as you find yourself surrounded by tiny hot air balloons. You somehow feel like you’ve stumbled down a rabbit hole and become a giant who can also walk on air?
Of course that can’t really come true! Or can it? Founders of Paperie + Pen, Nichole & Franny wanted to create a fun and flirty shoot revolving around their love of all things PAPER! Creating fluffy clouds and tiny hot air balloons all made from just that!
“The inspiration came from planning our spring window display for our paper store Paperie + Pen” Began Nichole.
“We are located in a big outdoor shopping center, and always put together these elaborate DIY window displays. Whenever we finish up the multiple man-hours of blood, sweat, and tears, we always kick ourselves for not taking photos before trapping the installation behind reflective glass- which is impossible to photograph very well.”
“This time, after coming up with our spring “wedding theme,” we thought- why not style a natural-light studio shoot with the props/decor before the installation? From there, we decided to use our amazing employees as the models, and rounded up a local dress shop to lend us a bridal gown.”
“We wanted the overall feel to be very “paper inspired” crunchy and sharp, but also 3-dimensional!”
Whilst we love to look at styled wedding ideas and get inspiration for them, we also like to know how easy they are for our real brides and grooms to create, so we asked Nichole to share her 3 fave and easy-to-make DIY’s from the shoot with us.
DIY Tiny Hot Air Balloons
- Cut the balloon shape out of spherical honeycomb party decor.
- Create the baskets by weaving strips of antique gold card stock into little boxes.
- Attach these to the honeycomb “balloon” with a chunky cream yarn and hang with a thin string to appear like they are floating.
DIY Paper Flower Bouquet
We have done these flowers for the past few displays we have put together, they are easy-ish but have a pretty sturdy and realistic end result, so we just keep coming back!
- Using easy to following tutorials by Lia Griffith & Mama’s Gone Crafty, we used Carte Fini italian crepe paper (different than regular crepe paper), wire, and hot glue to create our bouquet.
DIY Free Standing Paper Clouds
- You will need cake boards (the little cardboard things they put cakes on!) I found ours for $15 for a box of 100!
- Use hot glue to glue them together in a cloud shape.
- To make them stand up on their own, we cut the circles in quarters and glued them to the back bottom of the clouds to make little stands. Voila!
Photography/Styling: Ampersand Studios | Invitations/Props: Paperie + Pen | Wood Signage/Cake topper: Woodland Manufacturing | Hair: Kelsey Pence Hair Artistry | Bridal Gown: BB Bridal Boise / Jasmine Bridal style F473 | Bridal Shoes: Modcloth/Chelsea Crew | Bridesmaid Dress: Anthropologie | Bridesmaid Shoes: Old Navy | Drink Cart: Target.com | Mr & Mrs Flutes: Easy Tiger | Miss now Mrs Drink tumbler: Kate Spade | Groom tie/pocket square: Nordstrom/Original Penguin |